Tuesday, March 25, 2014

INNOCENCE

I walked a path all rough and worn
Of poverty; when I was born

Tattered dress and uncombed hair
Virgin eyes so bright and clear

Sat on a rock and watched the sky
Played hide and seek like a butterfly

Blades of grass that sway around
Like dancing maidens can be found

The sun that held my tresses bright
And wind that blew throughout the night

I walked a path of curves some narrow
For mothers light was dimmed in sorrow

Barefoot child gathering leaves
Knows not what it's like to grieve

To many; the foot-way was drenched in scorn
A broken home a child forlorn

Donations held with high delight
Helped some wrong and made it right

Although the clothes to me were new
Came from a bag of chosen few

Beneath the clouds that filled with rain
I've walked a trail of hunger pains

And weeks on end of porridge i ate
Until at last I came to hate

And I alone remember still
Hands pushed down on window sill

Falling snow outside in lane
My nose pressed hard on frosted pane

Deprivation lingered; times were tough
Surviving each day with barely enough

Upon a hill where I once played
Was cold at night and shamed by day

Yet gardens bloom and the sun did shine
Upon the hill to which was mine

Where flowers grew and birds did fly
Had stopped the tear in a child's eye

Sky that puffed into marsh-mellow clouds
Innocent laughter heard aloud

And the only thing I always knew
Was the love inside that grew and grew

I walked a road of pain and sorrow
Bearing hope for a better tomorrow

I did not know, till it came to me
Upon their faces where I did see

That I lived a way that they condemn
Avoidance and pity, I knew it then

A life disgraced by mainstream norm
Poverty; to which I was born

A child's place to be free to roam
Upon the hill that I call home

Where food was scarce and money few
It is the home that I once knew

I walked on ground filled high with weeds
Upon the grass and dandelion seeds

O path of innocence that I once knew
Days of childhood were too few

My younger days I did depart
But clutched the hope within my heart

Where mother's love I breathed and sighed
That nourished the garden I kept inside

And held it till this very day
On grassy hill where I sit and pray

That reminds me of my youthful days
Where a little girl played 'neath golden rays

Where birds sang tunes and fluttered and flew
The earth was green; the sky was blue

My hair scattered by a summer breeze
Whimsical times I've lived with ease

Where I danced a path all rough and worn
Of poverty; when I was born

And the only thing my innocence knew
Was the love inside that swelled and grew

~hopehayduk/2014~


participant of
http://poetryjaam.blogspot.ca

41 comments:

  1. Beautiful poem! So glad that despite hardships and poverty in growing up, the love was evident, thrived, and grew. Welcome to Poetry Jam!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Mary! i'm enjoying being a part of poetry jam and loving the other writes!

      Delete
  2. nice...so did you know you were poor when you were young...we didnt have much but i didnt know it...there were hints when i look back...its good that you knew such love as well...this is beautifully written hope...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Brian! i did not know it until i started school. I noticed it in the way the kids dressed then eventually as i made friends and went to their houses on occasion, i noticed a difference in quality and quantity then eventually i noticed in how they treated me. there was a definite social class difference. the world got bigger and my world was no longer the only world out there.

      Delete
  3. i like the rhyme and the wonderful union with Nature that helped a hapless child to let go of her sorrow....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Sumana! i appreciate your visit and your comment! :)

      Delete
  4. There is always hope, and I'm so glad you saw that. I especially like:

    My younger days I did depart
    But clutched the hope within my heart

    Where mother's love I breathed and sighed
    That nourished the garden I kept inside

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for taking the time to read and comment Laurie! appreciate it!

      Delete
  5. Beautiful and written with love and emotion. Hope shines in this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the positivity and imagery in this poem dispite the hardships, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. thank you Fifi! i'm glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your words vividly depict how you grew up and how you felt about it. I like how your poem ends on a very positive note.

    ReplyDelete
  9. happy you enjoyed it Gabriella! thank you for your comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I found this poem to be sad because the poverty did not make you feel bad but other people's attitude towards poverty is what made you feel uncomfortable. People are very cruel by nature. I remember being at a music camp and there was a very beautiful talented flautist who was poor. Her clothes and things were very out of date and old. I was present when some of the boys were talking about the girls and she was mentioned . Someone said she was beautiful and one of the boys said with great authority that she was far too poor to be beautiful and they all nodded in agreement.
    I was 15 at the time and this was my first lesson in reality!

    ReplyDelete
  11. very well said rallentanda! thank you so much for expressing your thoughts. very much appreciate it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing this.....nicely done indeed

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this ... and your blog design!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Helen! on both accounts! :)

      Delete
  14. You had the inner strength and love to come through difficult times- thanks for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you are welcome Kathe W.! and thank you for sharing your thoughts!

      Delete
  15. Lovely word-smithing - heartfelt and sensitive. The last stanza: Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Wendy! really appreciate your feedback!

      Delete
  16. I really like the love and the hope that wins out over all the hardship. "that nourished the garden I kept inside"...yes, that's the way to do it! Lovely and inspiring verse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Poet Laundry! happy you liked it!

      Delete
  17. Replies
    1. thanks Agnes! nice to see you here!

      Delete
  18. It's a masterpiece, Hope dear.
    Reading each of its line I could feel and visualize the situation. Glad that here love persisted despite of the tough phase of life which usually takes it away.

    Loved it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Simran! Yes....love carries you through the toughest times. so happy you liked it!

      Delete
  19. Hope, love your falling petals :-) people's judgments are so harsh, not knowing or bothering to know. You did a nice job of weaving wonder and love in with the despair

    ReplyDelete
  20. thank you so much SaraV! i was wondering if the petals were distracting. :) happy that you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. A gorgeous poem, heartfelt and beautiful. So happy that there was a lot of love ! xo

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful poem, Hope. I enjoyed reading it a lot. Looking within ourselves we can find the reserves of strength needed to "let go"

    ReplyDelete
  23. thank you for visiting and sharing your thoughts Nicholas!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hope, that is genuinely one of the most beautifully heart wrenching poems I have ever had the pleasure to read. So poignant. You are a brave lady to share, I have a huge amount of respect for you. Thank you SO much for sharing.

    http://laurieandher20somethingpoetry.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. thank you so very much for your very kind words Lauren! Putting my poetry on this blog does scare me a little but i do it anyways so i can improve and continue to share my experiences. so happy you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  26. hey you....great to see you pop in at dverse today...just thought i would come over and say hi...hope you are doing well...

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Hope,
    I was wondering if you are okay. I could not find you on Facebook anymore. I got worried. Please just let me know if you are okay.xo

    ReplyDelete
  28. I hope that all is well with you.
    Thank you for such a thought provoking poem. It is amazing that some people ( like yourself) turn out to be wonderful adults in spite of hardships.
    Thank you for visiting me. I have not visited a lot of blogs lately. I shall start checking every one out. Sometimes blogger does not give me a reading list even though I follow a lot of blogs. This keeps me out of touch. I used to be able to see blog posts as they were written. Now I search for different posts and their writers. I am still thankful that I met nice people like you.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete